As I was walking around São Salvador on a warm summer night, I… Wait… Why am I making stuff up? All my friends know that I’ve never been to Brazil. Not even to the American continent for that matter. But my Friend Lucas went there last summer and brought with him a huge collection of musical treasures he purchased in small music stores in and around São Paulo. Thankfully, one does not have to travel across half the globe to enjoy Brazil’s greatest gift to humanity: from samba, bossa nova to funk carioca, etc.
I actually live in Sweden, arguably Brazil’s polar opposite (weather-wise). Especially during cold winter days I like to shuffle up a couple of Brazilian songs, close my eyes and project myself to Brazil, where I’m holding a Caipirinha in my hand, instead of a snow shovel. Anyhow, it’s summertime now and I still enjoy listening to this music, as it is as much of a summer ingredient as sunburns and sand in your shoes. So do it like I do, listen to the collection of songs below and project yourself having a beautiful night in Salvador da Bahia (or at least how I imagine it to be)!
Ps: track number five is actually more of an Italian library song, but I’m sure that you’ll enjoy it nonetheless!
1) O Povo Canta – O Telefone Tocou Navamante
2) Jorge Ben – Por Causa de Você, Menina
3) Os Originais Do Samba – Tenha Fé, Pois Amanhã Um Lindo Dia Vai
4) Djavan – Serrado
5) Vittorio Paltrinieri – Meu Brazil
6) Novos Baianos – Swing de Campo Grande
7) Mario Castro Neves & Samba S.A. – Candomblé
8) Jamie & Nair – Sob O Mar
9) Painel De Controle – Relax
10) Famks – Labirinto
11) Tim Maia – Bom Senso
12) Seu Jorge – Burguesinha
13) Wilson Simonal – Nem Vem Que Nao Tem
14) Joao Donato – A Ra
15) José Larralde – Quimey Neuquen
16) Quinteto Violado – Marcha Nativa Dos Índios Quiriris